Project title: Highlighting the Potential of English Language Learning for Global Education Purposes
Project acronym: HI-GLOBE
Reference number: 2019-1-TR01-KA204-077591
Project duration: 30 months (01/10/2019–31/03/2022)
Project website: www.hi-globe.eu
Programme: Erasmus+ Programme, KA2-Cooperation and Innovation for Good Practices, funded by European Union
In today’s world there is a huge need for responsible, informed and globally oriented citizens. HI-GLOBE project is trying to highlight and use the potential of English-language learning to support adult learners to be more aware, to foster their critical thinking and be more active in civic and social life. HI-GLOBE intends to identify and develop the best possible pedagogies that can support the idea that language learning will be not only a goal but a tool for the further development of individuals towards a more sustainable society.
Project is part of Global Education (GE) approach introduced by the Council of Europe. This approach reflects an increasingly connected and globalised world. Its goal is to help learners understand and discuss complex social, ecological, political and economic issues. At the same time GE tries to encourage new ways of thinking and enable people to develop the new knowledge, skills, values and attitudes.
The main objective of the projected is to enhance the potential of English-language learning for Global Educational purposes.
The project target groups are:
(1) Adult English-language learners;
(2) English language teachers, instructors, educators and tutors.
The following intellectual outputs will be developed within the project:
- IO1: Study on the approach of English teachers on Global Educational methodologies and purposes – The output aims to raise awareness on the huge potential that lies within the field of English for speakers of other languages (ESOL), to be used as a tool for Global Educational purposes.
- IO2: HI-GLOBE modules – The modules will be based on current popular language teaching methods such as TBL and CLIL and enrich them with further elements based on key aspects of the GE approach.
- IO3: HI-GLOBE learning platform – The platform will give a concrete web-based platform for the HI-GLOBE modules elaborated under the IO2.
Envisaged results of the HI-GLOBE project:
– Analysis on the approach of English teachers in the adult sector on Global Educational methodologies in language teaching;
– HI-GLOBE modules developed on 2 level (A1-2 and B1-2), each one including a 40 hour blended learning course serving Global Educational purposes and based on CLIL, TBL and interactive digital technology.
The project intend to have a positive impact and contribution to the SDG target 4.7, namely: To ensure that by 2030 ALL learners acquire knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development including among others through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
The consortium that will develop the HI-GLOBE intellectual products consists of 6 partners from 5 EU countries with complementary background and experience, as follows:
Coordinator: Bahcesehir University Foundation (Turkey)
- Pelican Language School (Czech Republic), Website: www.skolapelican.com
- Promozione Internazionale Sicilia-Mondo (Italy), Website; www.associazioneprism.eu
- Foundation for the Development of International and Educational Activity – FRAME (Poland)
- European Center for Quality (Bulgaria), Website: www.ecq-bg.com
- Promimpresa (Italy), Website: www.promimpresa.it